This series will be for everyone who is a teenager or who has gone though that phase. I asked some people what advice they would give to the teenage version of themselves and this is what they had to say.
NOMAR says ;
I would tell to myself:
Keep doing what you are doing.
I basically won’t change anything from my past. All those mistakes, all the bad decisions, all the suffering, and all of the rest made me who I am today.
I believe in myself, and I’m proud of who I am. I’m not perfect and my life is not perfect and never will but that’s because I’m human and that’s the way it is.
JUDY says ;
- Sequence. Which means you can do anything you want in life, just not all at the same time. There is a time and season for everything.
- Be kind. The jerk in high school may turn out to be your boss or brother-in-law. Just treat everyone with kindness.
- Don’t worry about what other people think about you. They usually never think of you at all.
- Be well read. Read lots of books and magazines. You will come across as very intelligent by just knowing what intelligent people are talking about.
- Don’t ever try to buy friends with gifts or money. If they don’t love you unconditionally, they are not worth what you would give them.
- Choose your spouse very, very carefully. This is the most important choice of your entire life. It will make you happy or miserable in life.
- Be happy. it is a choice, so choose to be happy every single day.
DUARAH says ;
- Don’t jump into a relationship just because everyone else is in one.
- As soon as you settle for something you don’t deserve, you get even less than what you settled for.
- You aren’t weird. You just haven’t met the people who share the same interests and hobbies as you do.
- Just because someone likes the same bizarre shit as you do, doesn’t mean you guys are soul mates.
- Don’t be rude to your parents. You don’t know how much they love you and have sacrificed for you.
- Don’t stop. Just keep on moving. It’s a mice race. You will get left behind.
- Cut cakes not wrists.
INGRID says ;
Travel the world when you are young,
even if this means being poor for a while.
Do the musician thing.
Celebrate your creativity openly.
Disconnect from saboteurs, including your family.
Say no to manipulators.
What is happening in your family is not your fault –
and it is not your job to solve it).
Let your spirituality shine.
The void is a zone of infinite liberation.
It is your true home. Go there often.
AHMAD says ;
Don’t give up. The same moments wont happen twice. And even if it does, second chance wont be so lucky.
JAMES says ;
Stay away from Chris.
The sex ain’t worth the crazy.
Oh yeah, don’t let that night manager at *random fast food joint* corner you in the freezer and get grabby. It goes down hill from there.
CARLOS says ;
I’d say focus on what matters the most:family, education and following your dreams instead of going chasing girls all the time.
WILLIAM says ;
Live your own life don’t do things because others want you to , make your own choices and decisions , whether right or wrong , they’re yours.
What advice would you give to your teenage self?
with love, Nelly.