London, United Kingdom Travel Guide – Places and things to do.
London, the capital city of England and The United Kingdom, is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The history of the London dates back to about 2000 years ago. The city has become an economic, ceremonial and international figure for many of the other cities in the world to behold.
- London is located in the southern part of Great Britain. River Thame flows across its west to east. The port of London, which was once the largest port in the world, extends from The River Thame to the North Sea.
Best Time to go:
- The best time to visit London primarily as a first timer who is not used to ‘extreme’ cold in the summer! The summer is usually warmer, and the atmosphere is more transparent. Summer runs from June to August. The temperature around this time can go as high as 25°C to 30°C. This is really preferable to visiting the city in the autumn, Winter, or the Spring; the trio of which record average temperature of about 11°C, 20°c, and 11°C respectively.
- As far back as 1300, London was within the confinement of the high wall built by the Romans.
- English is the official language spoken in London.
- The British pound sterling is the official currency.
The underground tunnels or subways as referred to as ‘The Tube’ in London.
- About 300 languages are spoken in London alone. Perhaps, you shouldn’t find it difficult in London to locate an individual who can speak your language as well.
- The administration of London is carried out by the Greater London Authority.
- Apart from English, other popularly spoken languages in London include; Mandarin and Bengali.
- London is one of the most expensive cities to live in the world.
What to do:
- If you are interested in football, London is the perfect destination to enjoy watching some of the best teams in the English premier league; just in case you are lucky to arrive during the season between August and May. London clubs such as West Ham United, Tottenham Hotspur, and Arsenal FC, are known for playing entertaining and fascinating local derbies much to the joy of the fans and audience.
- Take a ride to behold the famous ‘Big Ben’ clock! You will be amazed.
- The National Portrait Gallery and The Wallace collection are the top artistic destination you can go ahead to visit while still in London.
- Walk along the Thames and behold the Tower of London in its exquisite beauty.
Where to eat:
- The Portobello road market is a worthy destination to connect with food.
- The Borough market is also home to various delicacies you may desire to taste.
Where to Shop:
- If you want to shop from your hotel room, Alotta pajs “CLICK HERE” is a great website for cheap high-quality clothes and accessories at discounted rates.
- Visiting London to shop without sliding into the Oxford Street is a miss! Oxford Street harbors big stores and shops where you can get lots of varieties.
- The Portobello market also offers many fashion wears and accessories you may desire to acquire.
If you have time:
- Take time out to behold the beauty of London by taking out a boat along the Thames.
- Visiting London’s West End will be exciting because of its splendor of musical features.