Cairo, Egypt Travel Guide-places and things to do
Cairo which is the capital city of Egypt and also the largest city in the African continent. Here you can find the merge between the Fatimid, Mamluk, Pharaohs and the modern monuments.
Egypt is considered an African country, part of the Middle East and Also an Asian Country as part of it which Sinai is in Asia. Egypt is bordered by Sudan, Libya, and Gaza Strip.
Best time to go
The best time to visit Cairo is from October to May which is considered a high season for visiting Egypt. The temperature is fantastic and you will witness Ramadan, winter, and Christmas too.
The ancient Egyptians were scared of cats, and they considered it a devil soul.
- Arabic is the official language, but a lot of Egyptian youth can talk, read and write English fluently.
- The Egyptian pound is the official currency, but you can find a lot of exchange offices and some places accept dollars too.
- You can quickly move inside Cairo by either using the underground, public transportation, taxi or you can use Uber & Careem applications too.
What to do
- For almost 7000 years, Giza Pyramids caught the attention of people which is also considered the last wonder of the ancient world. People kept asking since it was discovered “How the ancient Egyptians built this wonder”?
- Egyptian Museum which is located in Downtown with its pinky color, it’s a must to be visited as long as you are in Cairo.
- Sharia Al Muizz Li Din Allah an open museum for the old Cairo where you can visit Al Azhar mosque and many ancient mosques.
- Cairo Tower has located also on Zamalek Island, you will have a superb view at night with 360 views of Cairo.
Where to eat
- You can’t be in Egypt and not eating koshry, Koshry Abo Tarek is a very famous restaurant in Downtown. It’s a must to be visited.
- Abo Shakra
- Felfela is your best cheap and fast option for oriental food. Its name came from Falafel which is called green kofta.
- Abou el-Sid is serving Egyptian food with plenty of options like Molokhya and Fattah, also if you are a smoker, you will find the best flavors of shisha.
Where to shop
- If you want to shop from your hotel room, Alotta pajs “CLICK HERE” is a great website for cheap high-quality clothes and accessories at discounted rates.
- If you are looking for a traditional oriental place for souvenirs, so it’s Khan El Khalili, an open bazaar for all kinds of gifts that will remind you of Egypt.
- If you are brands collector, Cairo has many malls like Mall of Egypt, Mall of Arabia, City Center, City Stars and Cairo Festival Mall. You can find many stores there.
If you have time
- Visit Alexandria, which is two hours by train from Cairo. It’s a fantastic city in Winter and summer. You will find many places to visit and see.
- You can have a day use trip to Sokhna in summer, where you can enjoy swimming and snorkeling in the Red Sea.